Fresh water brings life, especially on an island in the middle of the sea. After all, water is the most precious commodity to create a farming community, as it ensures a healthy crop and helps the locals become self-sufficient. Luckily, unlike the other Cycladic islands around it, Naxos is very rich with water, which has brought prosperity and wellbeing to the island in many ways.
Embark on a 3-hour tour with us along running streams, shady trees and forgotten watermills to see how this valuable resource has been shaping the island life, its customs and its economy since antiquity. Behind the scenes, not far from the busy commercial town of Naxos, crystalline streams in hidden nature spots have been contributing to the livelihood of the island, centuries before tourism became its main economic driver. Stop by a traditional café under the shade of an centuries-old plane tree to appreciate the local color and take in nature’s beauty.
Riverside walk in Melanes, Venetian tower, spectacular views of the countryside, local treat at Mili settlement, abandoned watermill.
- Distance: 3km
- Level: Easy
- Inclination: Light uphill walk of 73 meters (240 feet) and moderate downhill walk of 50 meters (164 feet)
- Total duration: 4+ hours ( plus the driving time 1+h)
- flexible starting time
- transfer from and to your hotel/guesthouse
- certified guide/narrator
- guided tour around included sights and spots of interest
- bottled water, bio local refreshment and snacks
- a treat in a local Kafeneio. The treat consists of a coffee/soft drink or beer/wine and a plateau of local sweets or a plateau of meze bites.
- all taxes
Does not include:
- personal expenses
Rate for private tour
1 to 3 person: from 120 euros
4 to 8 person: from 60 euros